9 Astonishing facts about breastmilk
Discover 9 astonishing facts about breastmilk
- Breastmilk contains 415 different proteins
- Stem cells exist in breastmilk! These amazing cells have the ability to become a load of different type of cells in the body. Stem cells are like gold dust to medical research.
- Breastmilk is amazing, and thanks to its magical properties, breastfed babies have fewer middle ear infections, fewer respiratory infections and a decreased risk of developing allergies, cancer, childhood diabetes and obesity.
- Breastmilk leaves the breast through openings in the nipple; the average amount of openings in a nipple is 9, with some ladies having up to 18!
- When breasts lactate they are classed as an organ!
- Medela’s research shows that double pumping produces an average of 18% more milk
- Almost three-quarters of mums produce more milk with their right breast
- Your breastmilk can educate your baby's palate. What we eat is transferred to baby during a breastfeed and this supports the infant to learn about a great variety of tastes and flavours, great for when you start weaning!
- Breastmilk is the ultimate all-in-one meal and, amazingly, your body produces the right nutrients and volume of milk to match your baby's needs and developmental stage.