Benefits of Breastfeeding
We know that breastfeeding is undoubtedly the best way to feed your baby, it is beneficial for both mum and baby and is a fantastic way to bond with your little one. We thought we would share with you just 10 of the amazing benefits of breastfeeding…08 February 2016
- Ready to go! Breastmilk is the ultimate all-in-one meal and, amazingly, your body produces the right nutrients and volume of milk to match your baby's needs and developmental stage.
- Stem Cells! Stem cells exist in breastmilk! These amazing cells have the ability to become a load of different type of cells in the body. Stem cells are like gold dust to medical research.
- Packed with Nutrients! Recent research has shown that there are 415 individual proteins in breast milk. This is the ultimate high-protein diet. This discovery certainly tells us more about the significant role breastmilk has on infant growth and development.
- Your breastmilk can educate your baby's palate. What we eat is transferred to baby during a breastfeed and this supports the infant to learn about a great variety of tastes and flavours, great for when you start weaning!
- Breast milk contains substances that prevent harmful bacteria from growing in the intestines and causing gastrointestinal and diarrhoeal infections.
- Breastmilk is amazing, and thanks to its magical properties, breastfed babies have fewer middle ear infections, fewer respiratory infections and a decreased risk of developing allergies, cancer, childhood diabetes and obesity.
- Breastfeeding lowers the risk of developing postpartum anxiety and depression.
- Feeding your baby breast milk can help you burn over 500 calories per day and will help you return to your pre-pregnancy weight more quickly.
- Breastfeeding is a great way to bond with your baby. Not only are you providing your baby with all the nutrients she needs, that all important cuddle time and skin-to-skin contact is a great way to find that mum-baby connection.
- Breastfeeding is energy efficient. There is no need to boil water or wash or sterilise bottles, which means it causes less waste and is good for the environment.