Breastfeeding Tips for new mums
"When I started my breastfeeding journey, I knew that everyone would have an opinion about what/how/when it should be done, so I decided that to ease any new mums into their breastfeeding journey, I would write 10 top tips for new mums…. I hope they help!
- Do what feels right for you. Yes, I do believe breast is best, but if you are finding it difficult, painful or detrimental to your or the baby, then trust your judgement on this one!
- Do not let other’s opinions on breastfeeding cloud your own. Everyone who has breastfed will have an opinion on latch, length of baby feeds, when baby should feed, cracked nipples – the list goes on! I constantly questioned whether I was doing it right or whether my baby was getting enough milk and with hindsight I wish I had just let other people’s opinions wash over me.
- Relax – this is easier said than done, I know. But, if you are new to breastfeeding, try and relax into it, because ultimately you will both get far more enjoyment out of it!
- Feel confident. Wherever you are, breastfeed with confidence. Whether it be in a café, train or shop, always remember that you are feeding your baby, the most natural thing on the planet!
- Be comfortable. There is nothing worse than sitting in an awkward or uncomfortable position when feeding, so make sure you prioritise yourself and baby to be as comfortable as possible.
- Look after yourself. Breastfeeding is incredible, but it is hard core. Make sure you have a little self-love for the incredible achievement you are undertaking. So go on, treat yourself!
- Stretch! Exactly that, the amount of time you will spend hunched over that little miracle whilst breastfeeding might leave you a little stiff, so follow a few simple stretches to make you feel amazing.
- Do keep. Yes, I am contradicting myself and telling you what you should be doing, but honestly, drinking loads of water will make you feel great.
- Share positive aspects of feeding. This one comes from the self-fulfilling prophecy, whereby if you believe in the positive aspects and talk positively about it, then by that very nature you will have a positive experience. Which leads me nicely onto number 10…
- ENJOY IT!"