Seven essential tips for expressing
There are many reasons why you may choose to express, and a great variety of breastpumps to choose from. The graphic below will help you find the ideal breastpump for your needs.
Once you have chosen your breastpump you are ready to go…here are 7 tips to get the most from your expressing sessions:
- Try expressing from the left whilst you feed from the right, or vice versa. The skin to skin contact and act of baby feeding will stimulate more milk to flow.
- If you are expressing away from your baby, have a photo or an item of their worn clothing to hand or something that reminds you of them, this will also make it easier for you.
- Find a time to express that you know your baby is most settled between feeds – many mums find this to be mid-morning to mid-afternoon.
- Your body is very clever and works with you to ensure that baby will always have enough milk. Expressing milk will not affect your supply, or use up milk for later feeds!
- Single pumping tip: When you pump one breast at a time, switch from one side to the other several times.
- Massage your breasts before and occasionally during pumping to encourage you let-down and milk flow.
- Once you have expressed your milk, you can store it in the fridge for 3-5 days or in the freezer for 6 months. Once removed from the freezer use within 24 hrs. Make sure you use it all in chronological order.
- Wait until you and your baby have established breastfeeding and milk production ( about 2-3 weeks) if you want to express for your partner to feed baby, but if you find that your baby isn’t feeding well or you can’t breastfeed you can exclusively express or support your milk production from birth