22 August 2017
Top 5 Benefits of Breastfeeding for Mums
Breastfeeding is the ultimate superfood for your baby, but let’s not forget all the benefits for mums! Here we give you our top 5 benefits for breastfeeding mummas!
- Breastfeeding reduces post-delivery bleeding and the risk of anaemia and mothers have a reduced risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Breastfeeding mothers have a reduced risk of breast and ovarian cancer. They are also four times less likely to develop osteoporosis.
- Breastfeeding lowers the risk of developing postpartum anxiety and depression.
- Breastfeeding delays the return of the menstrual cycle. But be aware that breastfeeding cannot be used as a method of birth control.
- Feeding your baby breast milk can help you burn over 500 calories per day and will help you return to your pre-pregnancy weight more quickly. You would need to run 8km or walk 11km every day to burn the equivalent amount of calories.