Top 5 Benefits of Breastfeeding for Mums
22 August 2017
Breastfeeding is the ultimate superfood for your baby, but let’s not forget all the benefits for mums! Here we give you our top 5 benefits for breastfeeding mummas!
- Breastfeeding reduces post-delivery bleeding and the risk of anaemia and mothers have a reduced risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Breastfeeding mothers have a reduced risk of breast and ovarian cancer. They are also four times less likely to develop osteoporosis.
- Breastfeeding lowers the risk of developing postpartum anxiety and depression.
- Breastfeeding delays the return of the menstrual cycle. But be aware that breastfeeding cannot be used as a method of birth control.
- Feeding your baby breast milk can help you burn over 500 calories per day and will help you return to your pre-pregnancy weight more quickly. You would need to run 8km or walk 11km every day to burn the equivalent amount of calories.