Symphony double electric breast pump
The research-based Symphony breast pump has been developed specifically to support mums throughout their breastfeeding journey: to initiate, build and maintain an adequate milk supply. Symphony is ideal for long-term and frequent pumping. You can continue using the hospital-grade pump you used in the maternity unit and decide later which personal pump to buy. With the Medela pump sets, you can express your breast milk from the comfort of your own home using your Medela Symphony rental breast pump. The pump sets provide you with everything you need as a breastfeeding mum.
Natural breast pumping
The emotional closeness and the bond between mum and baby during breastfeeding are very special. It is no wonder, then, that mums are reluctant to place their trust in a breast pump. But when direct breastfeeding is not possible or you are experiencing difficulties, switching to a breast pump might be very helpful.
Based on clinical research, Medela developed the breast pump Symphony that mimics the natural sucking behaviour of your baby at the breast, thereby stimulating the flow of milk. This means that you can pump more breast milk in less time, when pumping at maximum comfort vacuum.
Benefits of Symphony breast pump
The hospital-grade, multi-user Symphony breast pump with its technical features and accessories is based on clinical research and is designed to help you meet your individual needs throughout your breastfeeding journey.
Symphony features Medela’s initiation technology and 2-Phase Expression technology, comes with overflow protection and is equipped for double and single pumping.
The pump set includes a PersonalFit Breast Shield in size M (24mm). Additional sizes are available separately: S (21mm), L (27mm), XL (30mm) and XXL (36mm).
All parts that come into contact with milk are BPA and phthalate free.
Rental fees may be covered by some health insurance companies.
- Supports you to successfully initiate, build and maintain an adequate milk production.
- Helps you initiate lactation when using the INITIATE program
- Assists you to build and maintain your milk production when using the MAINTAIN program.
- Particularly gentle on extremely sensitive breast tissue
- Alleviates symptoms of engorgement and helps heal mastitis
- Brings out flat or inverted nipples
- Easy to use and pleasingly quiet operation
Benefits of double pumping and 2-Phase Expression technology
The combination of double pumping and Medela's 2-Phase Expression technology provides the following benefits:
- Time saving – you can pump more milk in less time
- Maintains your milk supply when direct breastfeeding is not possible
- Your milk has a higher energy content – especially beneficial if your baby was born preterm
- Comfortable and efficient to use
1. Meier, P.P., Engstrom, J.L., Janes, J.E., Jegier, B.J., & Loera, F. Breast pump suction patterns that mimic the human infant during breastfeeding: Greater milk output in less time spent pumping for breast pump-dependent mothers with premature infants. J Perinatol 32, 103-110 (2012).
2. Torowicz, D.L., Seelhorst, A., Froh, E.B., Spatz, D.L. Human milk and breastfeeding outcomes in infants with congenital heart disease. Breastfeed Med 10, 31-37 (2015).
3. Kent, J.C. et al. Importance of vacuum for breastmilk expression. Breastfeed Med 3, 11-19 (2008).
4. Meier, P.P. et al. A comparison of the efficiency, efficacy, comfort, and convenience of two hospital-grade electric breast pumps for mothers of very low birthweight infants. Breastfeed Med 3, 141-150 (2008).
5. Mitoulas, L., Lai, C.T., Gurrin, L.C., Larsson, M., & Hartmann, P.E. Effect of vacuum profile on breast milk expression using an electric breast pump. J Hum Lact 18, 353-360 (2002).
6. Burton, P. et al. Randomized trial comparing the effectiveness of 2 electric breast pumps in the NICU. J Hum Lact 29, 412-419 (2013).
7. Mitoulas, L., Lai, C.T., Gurrin, L.C., Larsson, M., & Hartmann, P.E. Efficacy of breast milk expression using an electric breast pump. J Hum Lact 18, 344-352 (2002).
8. Prime, D.K., Garbin, C.P., Hartmann, P.E., & Kent, J.C. Simultaneous breast expression in breastfeeding women is more efficacious than sequential breast expression. Breastfeed Med 7, 442-447 (2012).
9. Mitoulas, L., Lai, C.T., Gurrin, L.C., Larsson, M., & Hartmann, P.E. Efficacy of breast milk expression using an electric breast pump. J Hum Lact 18, 344-352 (2002).
10. Kent, J.C. et al. Volume and frequency of breastfeeds and fat content of breastmilk throughout the day. Pediatrics 117, e387-e395 (2006).
11. Prime, D.K., Geddes, D.T., Hepworth, A.R., Trengove, N.J., & Hartmann, P.E. Comparison of the patterns of milk ejection during repeated breast expression sessions in women. Breastfeed Med 6, 183 (2011).
12. Kent, J.C., Ramsay, D.T., Doherty, D., Larsson, M., & Hartmann, P.E. Response of breasts to different stimulation patterns of an electric breast pump. J Hum Lact 19, 179-186 (2003).